Wednesday 9 February 2011

The Bystander Effect

So, what do you know about the Bystander Effect?  I know nothing, or shall I say knew nothing until I looked it up after viewing this clip a friend of mine forwarded:


I have been guilty many times of being a bystander....but, a child that is crying out for help yelling 'you're not my dad' would certainly get my attention!  I know I couldn't take the perp on physically, but bet your bottom dollar I would get help! 

Ok, so here's another one:


I am so guilty of this kind of thing...especially in London where God knows there are all types.  Fear of being spat on, kicked or hit are the top 3 things going through my mind when I catch the tube let alone being presented with this situation!  But really....I have to ask myself (let me add, after weighing up the possible real dangers) how do these things pale with the reality of actually helping someone?  It would have cost zero to stop and check if the people (in the clip) slumped on the steps of Liverpool Street Station were ok.  Are we really that busy, that self involved and cellular that in the light of day with no real apparent danger we cannot stop and check if a fellow human being is ok?

After seeing these videos, it has become my fervent prayer to stop being a bystander and to become a helper of people.  Physically speaking, we are all we've got.  We've gotta learn to love and help one another.  Speaking of which, the words of  Jackie DeShannon could never be more true...

Look at your fellow man, lend him a helping hand.  Put a little love in your heart, and the world will be a better place.  Amen to that!

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh that is disgusting that we are more likely to help those in the right social class!!!

    ReplyDelete